Tuesday 29 September 2015

Separating Locks


I start by washing my fleece, unless I know the locks will get all messed up this way, as is the case with some shorter locks or a fleece like Gotland, it is sometimes easier to organize before hand and then wash in netting. Natalie Redding has a good you tube video on this. 

First I set up three containers, one holding the fleece, one to lay out the locks in and one for the fleece without locks to be carded. 

To separate the locks I find a section of fleece with nice locks


I pull the tip of the lock away from the fleece 


I use my other hand to hold the base


And then I pull... Viola! The lock is free.


Then I place it directionally in my locks container. 

I like a shallow but long container for this.


I set it beside the container holding the fleece I am working with. 

Then I bundle them.

Depending on what I am doing with the locks I may bhundle them by weight or Colour. I will tie them in the center with a piece of yarn to keep them neat.

No comments:

Post a Comment