Wednesday 30 March 2016


The Vertical Approach to Drying Fleece

When I first started my obsession with farm fresh fleece I lived in 750 ish square feet. That would have been an okay amount of space if I had not been so intent on filling it with a couple hundred pounds of fleece and an assortment of fibre art equipment. 

It was in this small space that I became focused on finding ways to be space conscious and efficient. I love using the sun to dry my fleece. Rather then using heaters or fans, the fresh air does the trick. Even with snow still on the ground the strong south light is a beautiful and natural way to dry fleece, roving, and yarn. 

Rather then purchasing a bunch of clothes drying racks, or trying to fashion racks to place out in my front lawn. Neither of which I would have space for inside (even with the new square footage afforded to is with our new home) during the months it is too cold an wintery to have my fibre outside drying. 

This is my solution

A hanging system utilizing cup hooks, chains, dowels, caribiners, s hooks, zip ties and small round laundry baskets. This system is versitle, I can switch it up by adding more dowels, less baskets, or vice versa. I can hang this (as pictured) off the south facing side of my front porch, or from the ceiling in my studio. I can take it down and pack it away, or leave it up. 

Stay tuned for my "How To: Vertical Fibre Drying" coming soon! 

How do you dry your fibre? 




1 comment: